An elegantly-composed railway viaduct, built to designs prepared by James Otway (1843 – 1906) by Smith Finlaysaon and Company, Glasgow, which forms an imposing landmark in the centre of Kilmacthomas.
The construction in squared rubble limestone attests to high quality stone masonry, and produces an appealing textured visual effect in the landscape.
The viaduct is a reminder of the development of the Great Southern and Western Railway line by the Waterford, Dungarvan, and Lismore Railway Company in the late nineteenth century, which promoted the economy of smaller urban areas, such as Kilmacthomas.
— excerpt from Historical buildings of Ireland
In 1870, the Univeristy of Glasgow moved to Gilmorehill. The new-build campus was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Gothic revival style.
Gilmorehill inspired the design of the Clocktower complex of buildings for the new University of Otago in New Zealand.
Scott’s building is structured upon what was then a cutting-edge riveted iron frame construction, supporting a lightweight wooden-beam roof. The building also forms the second-largest example of Gothic revival architecture in Britain, after the Palace of Westminster.